Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a Senior Product Designer for our Austin, TX, San Antonio, TX or Plano, TX facility.
This role would be on the Design Language System and the right candidate would have deep experience in product design in both web and native applications and would be able to see the systemic impact of the design language system across multiple lines of business and in both internal and external facing work.
Executes and/or guides creating concepts and design and/or coding of marketing/brand communications and/or graphic user interface needs. Works closely with key partners and manages suppliers to ensure quality output and production. Collaborates with key stakeholders to understand business needs.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For , and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA S CHIEF DESIGN OFFICE
USAA has been powering innovation with empathy for nearly 100 years. Within the Chief Design Office (CDO), we reaffirm our commitment to build for the future and humanize the digital experience. CDO is comprised of 200+ multi-disciplinary designers, teachers, students, empathizers, explorers, doodlers, and even unicyclists. Spanning three locations (San Antonio, Austin and Plano), we have varied backgrounds across all design disciplines, from self-taught to advanced degrees.
As designers at USAA, we are measured by delivering on our mission: to help facilitate the financial security of our members. With access to millions of USAA members, we craft informed solutions through human-centered design that demonstrate value and meaning based on real needs. We continually engage our business partners and members to ensure we are focused on the right solutions. As technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace, we recognize the need to not only stay current, but also look beyond, all for the benefit of our members.
- Creates and executes concepts, designs, and/or coding and may guide production of complex and integrated visual/technical solutions.
- Applies, and may teach, advanced knowledge of design principles and business objectives.
- Presents and communicates design objectives, concepts and executions to partners and stakeholders across the enterprise.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders to ensure all executions fulfill requirements.
- Ensures compliance with design, brand, legal and/or accessibility standards/requirements, as required.
- Create design concepts and/or prototypes for use in usability testing.
- Facilitates the development or improvement of design processes, procedures, standards and guidelines.
- Serves as a mentor to peers and team members.
- Resolve design and technical issues through an understanding of the business and design principles.
- Clearly articulates the various facets of the issue and facilitates resolution.
- Contributes to the alignment of member experiences across projects, programs, products and channels.
- Bachelor's degree or 4 years of design work experience
- 6 or more years experience in advertising or digital design.
- Advanced understanding of marketing/advertising and/or user experience and/or interactive design principles.
- Advanced communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience facilitating cross functional initiatives and influencing business decisions.
- Self-motivated and able to work well with a diverse group of people.
- Experience meeting tight deadlines.
- Advanced skills Advanced with the Adobe Creative Suite.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Working knowledge with a design language system for a company with more than 50 designers.
- Has experience in web product design as well as native app design.
- Has basic knowledge of html, css, sass, and js.
- Has attention to detail in visual design and interaction design
- Has experience documenting visual and interactive deliverables and can communicate rationale clearly and efficiently
- Knows how to choose a perspective and articulate the use-cases for it.
- Can deliver critical feedback with tact and rationale.
- Can think and deliver on long-term strategy around systemic impact of a design system.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidatesto apply to the opening is 02/20/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.